Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The heat cooks my brain

Today began by nothing waking me up in particular. By 9 AM the temperature starts to get rather high in the t-house. This is what motivated me to begin. First activity: The five tibetans followed by some yin yoga custom fitted to me by Kira of Lulu Bandha and then to top it off: tai chi. I played some didj as well. Around 11, Bill calls, tells me to put together a bed in the Chumash room, distribute fans to outside spaces, move propane tanks and clear webs in t-houses and cottage.

I walk around for the next 3 hours. The heat cooks my brain. My thoughts bubble, steam and pop. How quickly the bliss found in the yoga studio evaporates in the hot sun. The tiredness I feel finally triggers the concept that lunch time is beckoning. Over the years, I have become used to eating just fruit for breakfast and then postponing lunch. Recently read that one should eat big lunches and small dinners. Ayervedic diet article in a yoga zine. The fire in my stomach burns in sinc with the sun's position in the sky. The message: eat a big lunch at noon. I decided to experiment with this concept but it seems difficult to implement already or... at least today. I manage to eat my lunch at 3 PM: salad, olive oil, apple cider vinegur, wild rice quinoa, red beet, carrot, sunflower seeds, raisins, an avacado and coconut butter on a slice of bread. Yum, yum, yum.

We're driving the B-mobile here, prussian blue 2005 volvo with all wheel drive, mega air conditioning and a radio which will only play AM (CD player works but I like the semi-randomness of DJs). Up El Roblar, cruising Meiner's Oaks, yee-hah. Turn in to Ace Hardware. Taking care of a recently added pick up item that I know will be a hastle. No details. Too boring. Walk up to the entrance, doors slide open all automatic like. The workers all wear these red shirts. Ask a red shirted dude about adaptors. "We don't do gas here. Try Coast to Coast or True Value. No gas adaptors, no sweat. They have fans. All kinds of fans. Cheap. I leave with 4 fans, 2 extension cords and one splitter with 6 sockets.

Coast to Coast has an age contrast to Ace Hardware. Ace staff are mostly young dudes, mostly young girls man the cash registers and always a few older gals on the register too. At Coast to Coast, there are always a few older dudes on hand ready to aid in your quest to buy whatever. All the dudes are in their sixties. But there's always a young girl working the register. Interesting how young women seem to be the ones to touch the money. Bank tellers are over 90 % female. Most of them young. This semi-short old dude with a mustache and a major gut tries to find the adaptor I need but to no avail.

Back into the B-mobile. Up the back way. Into the estate. Park in front of the yurt. Position fans. There's 3 in this big round structure now. Hopefully all the air blowing around will distract our guests from the stifling heat. This weekend the temps will stay in the 80's I think. Not so bad.

Dev gives a call. "What are you doing for dinner?"

We leave aound 7:20 PM and pull into Farmer and the Cook before 7:30 PM. I'm still feeling my "big lunch" and end up getting a bottle of water: reverse osmosis, purified, no bleach, no chorine, no flouride, no arsenic and fortified with medical oxygen. I also get a birdfeeder cookie. Devin gets the special: nut loaf bread, mashed potatos and some salad. We eat and discuss various items of interest. As we wind down, Chakra pull up in her black Toyota. We say hi and then she goes in to the store. Just as we are about to leave, she comes out and we start to talk about autism.

I say the bit about cacine and gluten.

She agrees and mentions that "borderline cases of autism have positive results with high fat diets."

"The whole Central Nervous system is made of fat. I bet autism is influenced by the deteriation of the mylen sheath."

"I think so to."

"I bet your coconut butter is quite effective."

"Yes-"

That's when Dev says: "I'm ready to get out of here. I need to take Scout for a walk before it gets dark."

Chakra smiles and says: "We'll continue this conversation another time."