Monday, August 24, 2015

#pinwheelofdeath

"It’s how we wait, and what we wait for. There are the sculptures and the stickers. We are hoping that people take the stickers and put them in places where they wait for things, take a photo and hashtag #pinwheelofdeath." ~ Evan Desmond Yee (multimedia artist behind “Start-Up,”)  
The #Pinwheelofdeath and friends are waiting for  you:        
FUELED COLLECTIVE 568 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NY10012, UNITED STATES 
The Fueled Collective is an 18,000 square foot co-working office space in Soho - NYC 
The Collective was started by Rameet Chawla and Ryan Matzner as a new business to complement the company's lucrative app development firm, Fueled.

Evan Desmond Yee has transformed a portion of Fueled Collective's office space into an homage to Apple Store imagery. The end result being a type of instant archeology. In this age where novelty has become obsolete all we are left with is broken devices with forgotten purposes. Children today do not know what a phone icon is when they see it. Many kids have never seen a phone mouth piece from 70s/80s before the cell 'your soul' phone. 

<<This concept piece alone makes me want to fly to NYC and hop in a cab straight to the show "Start-Up" in order to get a bunch of these #pinwheelofdeath stickers.  Probably good I'm not going to be able to - I'd get greedy and grab too many! Yes, you heard me, i actually just considered an East Coast visit. Paradoxically, I'd have quite a bit of line waiting to experience in order to gain access to these amazing stickers. I myself am a big fan of stickers. Luckily, no one will have to see me stuffing my pockets with all of the #pinwheelofdeath stickers like I was Joey Chestnut in a hot dog factory - before making a mad dash out of the madcap answer to the question of what happens to Apple if a wormhole passes through it and how many will notice?

And then I see gentle Evan smirking and waiting in line with his amazing machine, the #pinwheelofdeath and I realize I want to scream:


"EVAN DESMOND!!! YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT! You can capitalize on this lovely opportunity and practice a standing mediation perfected by masters buried under aeons of time slowly crushing everything except diamonds like this simple set of basic body mechanics and breath centered movement which transcend the intelligence of any one individual suggesting a language based on movement within time nested within time powered by gravity which originates from stillness outside of time!!"

Of course I'd stop myself before uttering a sound and realize that I am screaming at the choir. Of course Evan knows this! He's actually not waiting. He's acting. He's shooting a video! I Get It!


(Part II of a multi part series set to continue...)
In a world where image can dictate perception and thus herd reality, its nice to see the Apple Visual Imaging System reconstructed in retro style like a never released film starring Andy Warhol as the Aluminum Surfer.