Saturday, February 18, 2006

Devin's birthday party

Out of the blue the call comes on a Wednesday afternoon: "Didj, this is Devin, its my birthday this Saturday and I want a party. Bill says we can use the yoga studio. I know its short notice but can you make it happen, can you run it. We need entertainment and people..." Bill then gets on the line and asks me to organize it.

It takes me no time to agree to the task. "Sure, I'll do it." And thus began the chain of events which culminated in last night's winter bash celebrating Devin's birthday.

Remmy was our DJ and he quickly established himself as a master spinner of the groovey dance vibe. The air vibrated with smooth seductive rhythms which spoke of our secret heart's desire. We all writhed and shook to the beats which swirled around us in mad mandalas and at times threatened to drown us in bliss.

And then, just when the crowd was exhaling and catching its collective breath, the live music began. Sundance on lead guitar, Brad on drums, Johnny on base and Bruce on guitar. These guys know how to rock and roll. They began their show seamlessly and with the stealth and grace of a mountain lion. Before we knew it they'd pearced thru the hazy film of maya using music as their ram and then we were on the other side.

Then, Ryan took over the bridge of the musical starship and piloted us into his little corner of the musical universe. Sunny stayed on guitar and I eased on over and supplied some vocals. I then grabbed a didj and opened up a small portal into the dreamtime which I watered with songs of devotion and grattitude.

We'd soon passed midnight and the voyage came to an abrubt end. Could have easily kept going and still be going now.