Friday, February 18, 2005

Hey God, watch where your pointing that flash bulb!

The rain woke me gently this morning with a gentle drumbeat on the roof of my t-house. When I discovered the time, I scrambled to begin my day, scrapping the typical rituals used to frame my consciousness. I did brush my teeth though. The first thing I had to do was borrow Bill's Volvo, drive to Rachie's and let the famous cat Angus outside so he can mark his territory in the back yard. Next, I had to perform various miscelaneous tasks around the estate for the retreat this weekend. There's about 25 folks from LA here sleeping as I type this. The rain came in waves thru out the day and the sun even had a quick peak thru the curtain of clouds at one point. I can hear the frogs enjoying the night rain, river and stars. I figured out how to clean out the shower heads and the faucet screens in the pool bathrooms today. A simple task that I felt ill eqipped to accomplish but somehow I became focussed on solving the flow problem. Funny how something as innocuous as this could give me a burst of energy but it did. I watched a flick with Steve called Shawn of the Dead. Zombies in Britain. I guess there everywhere. I soaked in a jacuzzi while it rained and remembered Angus the cat. Time to get the tabby in. Now, Its just Katula the cat and I here in the basement. Katula sleeps curled in a chair across from me. Todays space news: The giant flash of light which came from a magnetar (rare type of neutron star) in another part of the galaxy. It flashed on Dec 27 2004 and was as bright as the moon. One theory had it as the cause of the famous Indonesian earthquake/tsunami. There's a sci-fi writer by the name of Greg Egan who wrote an expansive novel about the quest for immortality. He expounds about the inevitable frequency of bursts of gamma rays every 50 million years or so which wipe the chalk of life clean off the chalkboard. His speculative fiction always did have the ring of truth in my minds ear. If this latest burst of gamma rays was within 20 light years, it would have eradicated all life here on good ole Earth. They call this event a star quake. The flash was observed one day after the 9.0 planet wobbler. Hey God, watch where your pointing that flash bulb!