Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Back on the track

Today's random wake up came from Eddie. He's a yoga teacher from Santa Barbra who will be one of two teachers for the upcoming retreat this weekend. The sound of the t-house zipper roused me from sleep and then Eddie's reaction followed: "Ohh..." and then the sound of the zipper closing. Turns out he was giving some one a tour. Nobody informed me, oh well. I was happy to get out of bed at that time and get on with it.

When I walked up to the yoga studio, Eliza popped out "Didj, do you know how to get the CD player to work?" I walk in and press the TV/AUX button and the sound of flutes and whatever come out of the speakers. I'd been planning on getting in there and doing what I do but wisely, I decided to give some space. No need to crowd Bill's girlfriend/fiancee. They're supposed to get married in July.

I learned today that they will be going to Zion this Sunday for five days or some thing. Any way, I shall be in charge of the estate. It will be nice to have the run of the big house. Devin left today for Maui and so now his big yellow lab Scout is folllowing various of us around instead of Devin. I fed him tonight and will take him on a few hikes.

So instead of starting the day with yoga, I went for a ride on the CBR 900 up 33 for about 10 miles. I parked by a water fall and wet my face. Cruised back, felt the warm wind on my skin, watched the blue blue sky and the green rolling hills and the black grey asphalt below me. When I got back, it was time to deliver another case of wine. I hop in Bill's latest vehicle: a big black Sivarado. Devin gave it its name: El Diablo.

Finally, I enter the studio and get to that timeless place duing the last 20 minutes or so of yoga. Twenty minutes of tai chi and twenty minute of the didj. AHHH...

For the first time in many years I ran around a track. Nordoff High school put in a new one last summer. It's brown and has great bounce and traction. I ran around it four times. That makes a mile for those of you who don't know that tracks are 400 yards per lap. While I ran around it there were also other folks there. None of them were running though - all were walking. Plus, there were a bunch of 2-3 year old girls who were sitting on the track. As I ran by in a nice voice I said: "Please don't sit on the track, have some respect for the runners." This was for the benefit of the overweight mother who responded by asking her girls to get off the track. The first lap was easy; I was surprised at the distance, it seemed shorter than I remember it. The second lap was easy. The third lap I felt it a bit but kept up the pace. The fourth lap I picked up the pace but did not go all out. Stay in control, don't push it, just get reaquainted with the distance. Afterwards, I stretched a bit. Recovery was quick. No pain or strain anywhere. I am very curious what I ran it in. Tomorrow, I will bring along some kind of time piece. My estimate is that I ran it in 5 min 30 sec or so. Definitely under 6. I feel that running up the hill has been great prep. Also, running every other day has been quite effective. Recovery time is crucial.

2 waves:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

didj - another nice riff - ambo from the ojai

10:35 AM  
Blogger Dij said...

Thanx, Ambo

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home