Thursday, June 23, 2005

Machinery, motors and people

Machinery and motors conspire to raise the raquet needed to get my sleepy butt out of bed. Toolio rouses himself into the classic cat sitting pose and squints his eyes at me while I hang my Big Agnes sleeping bag on to hooks and pull on some pants. Step out of the t-house under the deep blue sky as birds chirp. Head to the studio. Once again, Eliza has entered the yoga studio before me. The red curtains are drawn but I recognize her sandals on the red brick porch. Consequently, I begin the preparation for the upcoming retreat immediately.

Check electricity in various places, [Dear guest: Here's the rules...] sheet of paper placed on various beds, clean, fill up and turn on the Quan Yin fountain, plug in some light timers, go to the Vista Yurt and turn on the inverter. By this time 30 minutes have passed and I ascertain that the Studio is now available.

While into the first half of yoga I get to that place where everything goes away. It's just me. Flowing like a river and chuckling like a stream. Being a lover of randomness and music, I do all my stuff with the radio. There's four different stations that I listed to which are able to produce some good music for my listening pleasure. Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar" came on at one point. Nice that those guys are reuniting for a show. They are my all time fave band. Hopefullly they'll decide to do a US show. Cell phone rings... answer it: "Hey Bill, what's up?"

"Hi this isn't Bill, my name is Mary, I have to tell you something-"

"You found Bill's phone?"

"Yes, I found his phone at Libbey park. The thing is, I have to go to work."

"I can pick it up, where are you?"

"Farmer and the Cook, do you know where that is?"

"Yes. Just give it to Steve or the girl at the cash register."

"OK"

"Mary, thank you very much. That was very nice of you. Have a great day.'

"Your welcome, good bye."

"Good bye."

Back to work, complete the list: check hot water flow, move a bed from Devin's space to the Chumash room and then hop in El Diablo, the giant black pick up truck that roars. Can't find the key. I know that Bill does not have his cell so I walk up and find Eliza in the guesthouse. She doesn't know where the key is but offers to let me use her silver Toyota. Off I go to Farmer in the Cook, buy some lime aid juice, grab the phone, head to Star Market for salt, fire starter and t-lights. Turns out, no t-lights.

Back on the estate we finish up the prep stuff: dump a bag of salt int the pool, dump two bags of salt in the water filter and I guess that's it. I see Bill, give him his phone. He's confused for a second "How'd you get it?" I tell him the story. Then Bill wants me to take Will to kumon and then Akido.

Finally, at six, the day of work is done. I go into the big house and up into the Maha Raj room to watch game seven of the NBA finals.