Monday, July 11, 2005

Flat tire Monday

Fire Blade, my high performance motorcycle, created by Honda, is finally getting the attention it needed. This leaves me without a vehicle. Even my Stumpjumper has a flat tire - easily remedied though. I left a message at the motorcycle repair shop wondering when they'd get a chance to look at it. I mentioned how adept I was getting at pop starting it on flat land using second gear. I also mentioned my need for a new back tire. Daryl (owner of the shop) responded quickly: "Bring it in today. You'll need to leave it for a few days though."

I stop by Sunny's and Daniel's to check on Sunny. She just spent the weekend at a Landmark Workshop. This particular workshop offers strategies to recognize unconscious behavior. They call this your "raquet". Daniel and I listened as Sunny recanted her adventure with Landmark. The experience seemed to agree with her. The one thing that I expected, did occur. Sunny confronted the "coaches" and had the whole class back her up.

Basically, the workshop revolves around the coaches calling you on your shit. They supervise the "class" through a series of techniques, encouraging the attendees to drop their masks. What Sunny wanted was the coaches to show that they don't have to always be in the driver's seat. All of this is quite ironic on many levels and would make for an interesting reality show. Come to think of it, Sunny should have her own show. Get a couple camera guys to film her throughout her day for a couple weeks and throw the raw footage at a couple decent editors and I bet you'd have something.

After the download, I mention my need to get the CBR 900 to the shop. Sunny ends up following me their in he black Mazda Miata converitble with the fat rims. The weather changes as we get off the Stanley exit. The fog clings to the shore and brings the temperture down at least twenty degrees. I pull the bike into the shop and am greeted my Daryl, Martin and Kurt. Martin immediately discovers that I have a flat rear tire. This totally mystifies me. It was not totally flat or anything but significant enought that you could press in the rubber. When Sunny walks into the garage they all perk up, stand a little straighter and smile. Sunny marches around the place in her tight black full body suit, checking out beat up old Hondas, she dreams of getting a small motorcycle. Daniel and I both think that this is a bad idea.

"When are you guys gonna start filming the shop? Jessie James aint got nothing on you guys." I posit.

They just laugh at this one but I actually think that they have more interesting personalities than that James dude although I have to admit his bikes are rad. Sunny and I say later and then we are off in her tiny black car that sounds like a rice burner. She is looking for a suit to buy. We check 3 upscale thrift stores and then the mall. No purchases. Back to Ojai.

Fire Blade, get well soon.