Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Another tennis match with Bri

The cell phone rings, it's Bri, he asks: "Do you want to play tennis?"

"Yeah."

"When can you play?"

"Anytime, now."

"How's five o'clock?"

"I'll be there before five."

The green Explorer fires up and takes me to Turtle Bay. I am about 15 minutes early. As I park, I see Bri's wife, Arlette. She sees me and says: "Michael, is that you?"

"Hi Arlette."

She tells me that she just left the apartment with Brian in there but that I look so much like him that it made her question that. That's one of the interesting things about being here on the North Shore. It seems like every other day some one is saying: "Hi Bri." Even Brian's wife had to look twice.

On the tennis court we don't look so similar. We started out battling. It was 2-2 in the first set and then Bri just clamped down. He won the rest of the games. I actually played better this time around and had many chances to win games but was unable to. I had many break points but was just could not convert. Final score: 6-2, 6-0.

After the match we sat on the side of the court and talked, as the almost full moon sprayed pale light thru the coconut trees.