Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Frozen adventures in time

So, you think I have become drunk on power that is not even real. To this I say: This would be a good observation if you were actually talking about yourself. Your response is nonverbal. You just look away and sigh like a fog horn on a tugboat on the other side of a fogbank. Somehow, this pleases me and I am filled with the impulse to tell you some things that I ordinarily would not. Instead of trying to ram my point of view down your throat like a payed off newscaster, I will tell you a story. Like some of my stories, this one is real. In this crazy town that I live there are many characters, many fixtures, some consider me a fixture. You can come to this town and find me. Many people here know me as Didj, try and fine me if you dare. Any way one of the characters in this town is known for hanging around town in frozen positions. I have seen him around for years and observed his various frozen poses. Some day a photographer will take pictures and chronicle his frozen adventures in time. He is around six foot three, stoops, has long stringy brown hair just past his shoulders and a smallish mustache that he has on occasion trimmed the sides to look like the infamous Adolph. He has been out of view lately but in the past he has fequented areas around the post office and the arcade. One day he appraoched me and engaged me in a one-sided conversation. He spoke about a tape of tibetan buddhist monks chanting he used to listen to 30 years ago. He told me that when he heard me play the didjeridoo, it brought him back that memory because of how much i sounded like these chanting monks. His eyes then opened wide and I could see little bits of red where blood vessels had burst. He told me that he met one of those monks and that monk taught him various standing meditation poses, each desinged to tune a chakra or two. The man who liked to freeze in public then got to the heart of the anatomy of this meeting. He asked: Do you know why the monks chant? Why they chant in shifts 24 hours a day and 7 days a week? I shook my head with the barest movement in a silent no. He answered his own question while his slightly bloodshot eyes did not blink: They chant to tune all the chakras. Continually tuning the chakras (the endoctrine system) so that one day they we us you will crack the seed of earthly existence.

4 waves:

Blogger Anshula said...

This reminds me of a crazy trip I once made to Badrinath. That is like up, up and up into the Himalayas. The route almost gives an illusion of following a winding Ganges all the way up to its conceptual glacier. The river grows more and more ferocious and a stroll into the rocky wilderness brings with many a bend a meditating Aghori. Some of them don garments like Bhagwan Shiva, with their wild matted locks and ash smeared faces. Even they meditate to open up their chakras so that their kundalini can rise all the way from its base to the head(the Sahasrara Chakra).

6:53 AM  
Blogger Dij said...

Is Aghori another name for Saddu?

4:32 PM  
Blogger Anshula said...

Aghoris are sadhus who use extreme and terrifying means to achieve spiritual enlightenment. They conduct sadhanas in cremation grounds & test their physical endurance the limits. A sadhu can be anyone seeking spiritual enlightenment

10:54 AM  
Blogger Dij said...

The concept of India revolving around the sadhu has always fascinated me. Is their truth in this concept in your opinion? Where else have you traveled in India? USA? the world?

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home