Sunday, February 20, 2005

Stay active and surf the waves that come

This day began with the Five Tibetans and tai-chi - which the vast majority of days do for me. Yesterday, I walked to town with Millenium and left him at Rainbow Bridge. I randomly visited some friends at the moment of their departure for a bike ride. They invited me and had an extra single speed with front shocks. The rain started to fall on the way to the trailhead. Undeterred, we zipped along releasing pent up energy. I cawwed with the crows and enjoyed the cardio workout. It's been 2 weeks since I felt my body in this deep way - it was surfing last time. There might me a correlation between my slight tumble into the bardo realm and my lack of cardio exercise. It's prudent to take note of this and make the proper adjustment. When we arrived at the trailhead, we saw a sign which said the trail is closed do to unsafe conditions brought on by the latest bout of storms. So, instead of single tracks, we stuck to the road and then a bike trail which is very tame. The ride felt nice and I could feel my body wake up with the exercise. Dogs love you when you walk them, take them out in the forest and let them run free.. The human body loves and longs to be used as well. A century ago, humans did a lot more walking, running and physical labor. I've heard some evidence that long distance running played a major role in human evolution. One interesting bit of physiology is that our muscles had always been the primary distributor of blood in the human body. The heart had been the number three pumper of blood. The heart is connected to the cerebral cortex, the limbic system and the immune system. So it would seem to me that if we make the heart the main pump, then there's less energy to help with the cerebral cortex, limbic system and the immune system. I type this to remind myself to get off my but and be more active. Soon, I will walk down to the yoga temple where I will be part of a shoot. Tony will play the tablas and I will play the didjeridoo. The dvd is called Hip Happening Hoops and stars Dianna. Tony and I will just be in it for 3 minutes. I stuck my head inside the temple and was surprised at all the equipment - lights, cameras, wires and various other items. The shoot was supposed to start at 2 but it's already 2:12. We have a meeting planned at 5PM but I wonder if the filming will be done. The storms have swollen the rivers once again. More rain is expected. Stay active and surf the waves that come.

3 waves:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didj, what are your favorite cardio excercises?

12:56 AM  
Blogger Dij said...

Mountainbiking, climbing, surfing, running and playing the didj

9:38 AM  
Blogger Dij said...

I love tennis, b-ball and soccer but the opportunities are rare. It sounds like I may have some potential tennis matches...

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home