Thursday, March 03, 2005

Myrtle Beach to Hostel in the Forest

I arrived in Myrtle Beach at the right time of year to be on a Ducati SS. There were sport bikes everywhere. I stayed in a campground with three guys I met on a ferry from Okrakok (tiny Island just south of the Outer Banks) to South Carolina. They were all from Connecticut. There was no helmet law at the time there which they were all proud of. South Carolina didn't have a helmet law either. Crazy as it sounds, I rode around short distances in my bare feet, no helmet, so shirt. Don't worry, I always wear a helmet etc. now. I can't remember really having any meaningful conversations or contacts. I left after a few days. While in a gas station in Georgia, I met a guy on a cruiser type motorcycle. I had trouble getting the bike started because I'd forgotten that I hit the kill switch. So the bike wouldn't start and I'm starting to get a little stressed. He offered his help and soon we're laughing because it's the ultimate DUHH! I tell him about Hostel in the Forest and he's up for it. We cruise like easy rider and racer m the 100 or so miles.

I'll always remember my arrival at this amazing place. The dirt road in was windey, pitted and crazy fun on 2 wheels. It is a half mile to the parking lot. We arrive at night. When we walk up to check in we meet Graham. He's from Australia and a bit on the pompous side. We get a quick mini tour of the geodesic domes - there's two of them - and the kitchen - which ajoins one of them. In the kitchen there are signs everywhere "Please clean up after yourself", "please do the dishes", "please turn of the lights". We are shown where we will sleep inside the big dome. There are beds for about 20 people it seems. After all that time on the road, I sleep like a log. The next day I awaken to see sunlight streaming in thru the windows. I step oustside and am amazed to see how beautiful this place is. I see an amazing peacock - Octavious, a peahen - Cleo, 3 geese - the third reich, ducks, chickens, roosters and baby chicks. The pecking order becomes obvious to watch. Soon I'll use it as an example to show how human behavior resembles animal behavior to a greater extent than I ever realized. I walk around and check out the various treehouses. There were 4 at the time. They are awesomely cool and I am blown away. That night I am assigned a treehouse for myself. I walk up the steps alone with my bags. When I get to the top I hear a voice, breathe into my ear, "perfect." I kind of yelled, looked around, no one there, no one here. Spooky.

I ended up staying there for 2 weeks before a couple girls from Switzerland told me about India House in New Orleans. This will be my next stop in the wander journey across America.