Friday, April 29, 2005

The hurricane puppies

The puppies woke me at 5:00 AM this morning. I lay in bed trying to go back to sleep. At some point I drifted into sleepville and finally got up around 6:30 AM. This was the time that I was to feed the little balls of energy and let them outside otherwise they’d: “get out of their cage, shit everywhere and eat every thing on the ground including shoes.” [Personal note: read Sunny’s directions more closely] Thus, after my first night of adventures in puppy sitting, I began to see the amount of work that goes into raising 7 puppies. They pooped and peed all over the place; tore the stuffing out of a couple cushions; ripped up newspaper and evenly dispersed it all throughout the sitting room. I cleaned up after the hurricane puppies and then headed up the hill to check on the 2-legged animals.

First stop: Rachel’s, I let a grateful Angus the cat out, no problem. Then I cruise Skip’s dirty old beat up yellow Toyota pickup onto the estate. I turn on the Jacuzzi, turn off some lights, turn the heat in the yoga studio up and then its time for a nice catered lunch. I savor the delicious salad and then begin to eat the carrot ginger soup. Just before I finish, I am alerted to the fact that a guest is having difficulty getting into the Vista Yurt. I jog down the hill, pass Skip’s hovel, cross the trail and then trot up the hill. The key was in its secret spot; I open the door, orient the guest: windows, fan, dome and heating and then jog back for the rest of my soup.

Bill gives me a call. We walk around the house and he starts pointing out various things that need to be maintained and looked at: button the shower curtain, check baths leaky pipes and fix a squeaky door. He lets me know he’s giving me a raise and wants me to manage the retreats myself now with him backing me up. I agree. The raise will start next week.

Back in the Skip mobile, down the hill, more adventures in puppy sitting. Once again the puppies have gotten out of their makeshift cage. This time they only peed in a couplefghc places. They only pulled out a bit of stuffing and they only tore up a bit of newspaper. So this time it was not too much damage.

I take momma dog, Trixie and Papa dog, Rupert for a walk up Signal Street. The sun is out and the only hat for me to wear is a cowboy hat. Fittingly, we pass 3 girls on three horses near the summit. I’ve got a leash in each hand; they’ve got reins in there’s; “Howdy gals.” They don’t hear me. Clip, clop, clip clop. The dogs don’t seem to notice cars but they give the horses a wide berth. In one of Sunny’s dog duty rundowns, she talked about how people never leash their big dogs. She’s always got her 2 little dogs on a leash. Of course, Rupert, Trixie and I meet up one of those big leash less dogs. Her name is Jupiter; she wags her tail but Rupert growls viciously and takes a snap at her neck. Her master calls her: “Jupiter, Jupiter…” Her big black dog does not listen so I start us jogging down the hill to get way from Jupiter.

Yesterday, the phone connect was on the blink; today I learned why via Sunny over the phone. The puppy’s sleep/cage zone happens to encompass the phone jack. The puppies just love to chew – anything. Thus, I replaced the phone cord and so I am connected to the Internet at puppy headquarters.

Like a pinball in the giant Ojai pinball machine, I have bounced back up onto the estate. I sit in the main room having started 2 fires and lit candles on the outside tables. The guests have just finished class and await dinner. I hear the Dali Lama's name being repeated in one conversation, children coverse among themselves with lively playful energy and Rhonda just asked me: "what are you doing?"

"Blogging" I say.

" What's that?"

I explain: "Blogging is the internet within the internet. It's a way to digitally publish whatever you want over the Internet."

Tonight's event is kirtan. I've been invited to accompany Dave Stringer and company by Sol David Ray (the head yogi in charge). I am not sure if I will or not. Stay posted to find out. Sol has just softly announced: "Dinner's ready."