Saturday, April 30, 2005

The wild pack and the back attack

The wild pack of puppies woke me at 5:30 AM this morning. Only one got out – by climbing. There are six boys and one girl – all from the same litter. The girl, who already looks like her mother, climbed out. There was no mess this time because I immediately fed the seven-headed hydra that these puppies become whenever it is feeding time. Luckily, I was able to fall back to sleep rather quickly.

At 7 AM I rise, throw on some clothes and then I am out the door. The yellow Toyota Skip mobile chariots me up onto the estate. I turn on the Jacuzzi and turn off various lights around the property. While walking around the estate, I start to notice that my upper back feels funny. It’s stiff and tweaked. Over the next hour it flares up in a way I have not experienced for over a decade. I manage to make my way down to puppy headquarters without too much pain.

When I arrive, a couple pups make escape into an off limits segment of the backyard. I have to bend over and pick them up – uggh – excruciating.

Inside the house, I lay on my back doing some spinal twists. Then it hits me: hop in the bath, there’s even some salt with eucalyptus oil – perfect. The soak lasts 30 minutes or so and when I begin stretching again, the flare up in my upper back abated somewhat.

The yoga program, I go though on a daily basis, is manageable and I get through it and then practice some tai chi. Just as I complete my discipline, the familiar jingle of my cell phone sounds and I see that it‘s Bill.

“Hey Bill, what’s up?”

“Not too much Didj, one of the antique chairs is in the sun, can you take care of it?”

“Really? I’ll be up there in a second and handle it.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

Back in the Skip mobile, cruising up the hill. My back feels much better but it’s still tweaked. I speak with Sol and explain the antique chair in the sun situation.

“Sorry, no one knows.”

“No problem, thanks for cooperating.”

I mention my back to Sol and Suzanne hears my complaint and offers to put some needles [acupuncture] in it.

I accept and soon I am up on her bed with needles sticking out of my back. It turns out that she’s a doctor, acupuncturist and body worker. Basically, according to Doctor Suzanne, my shoulders are slumping. She says that this and the tension I’ve been experiencing have led to this episode.

Dr. Suzanne: “You’re taking care of a lot of animals. It’s a lot of work.”

“Yeahh, I have to handle it better. I think I have all this body sensory awareness and then this happens, it blows my mind.”

Several months ago, I had a tension related physical disorder called: TMJ. This is what they call it when you grind your teeth at night. I used this as an opportunity to listen more closely to my body and retuned previously unconscious behaviors that caused the malady. The solution was to alter harmful thinking patterns, stop eating sugar (for 6-8 weeks) and practice more yoga.

Conclusion: another opportunity to listen more deeply to my body.

After my impromptu session, I hop in the Jacuzzi and then it’s back to puppy world… So now I watch a ColdPlay DVD of a live show. This band rocks.

My location has changed. I now sit on the front porch as twilight begins. I can hear the guests’ children on the front lawn, dogs barking from across the street and birds singing the song of goodbye sun hello stars. Last night Kurten with Dave Stringer was nice. I didjed thought-out but with all the percussion no one could hear me. This has always left me slightly disconcerted. In the past when I have played with too much percussion and no mikes I always left with an insecure feeling, afraid that the audience perceives me as a poser. But last night, I did not care. I felt good. Centered. Clear. I thought: it’d been nice for others to share in my experience but it does not matter.

Tonight, Tony and I will be performing in Skip’s river kiva. We play together often and enjoy the combination of our musical instruments. Consequently, although it is not miked, the sound levels will be balanced.