Monday, May 16, 2005

Seatbelt overkill

The Ojai Valley News reported on Friday that the Ojai Police Department has received a $9000 grant to give out a bunch of citations to drivers not wearing seatbelts. Ojai reportedly has a compliance rate over 90%, which is one of the highest in California. The creation and enforcement of seatbelt laws is a classic example of civic absurdity in my opinion. I wonder when there will be a shoelace law. I can easily envision police officers handing out tickets to citizens to protect then from tripping.

Speaking on behalf of motorcyclists, I think we should be exempt from seatbelt laws. Lets face it, when you are cruising around on your motorbike; you are significantly more vulnerable than when you are inside a four-wheeled vehicle. From this perspective, seatbelt laws seem silly.

Sometimes it seems like the various forms of government all slip into the quagmire illusion that it’s their purpose to protect us – whether we like it or not. When we compare our endless slew of driving laws to other countries’ policies, it becomes easy to feel like we’re all being treated like children. Maybe that’s why I enjoy riding a motorcycle. It allows me to step out of the seatbelt corral. Don’t get me wrong, I do think that driving laws are necessary, I just draw the line when it comes to seatbelts. Oh, and by the way, your shoe laces are untied.