Monday, June 27, 2005

On the way to Burning Man mid August 1999

"Who the fuck's in my bathroom!!"

Santa cruz felt cold under the cover of grey clouds. Swimming against the current of my anxieties, I finally took a much needed bike ride up a pier. Sea Lions lounged on the rough rocks in the sun. All they needed were glasses of Martini with umbrellas in them. i chanced upon a volley ball game and spent an hour with the most arrogant people that I can remember. I kept quiet and hustled as much as I could, accepting their condensation with a smile and left feeling sandy and better.

A thrift shop became the recipient of some clothes that I wanted to give away, sold my wet suit for 15 bucks, bought some snowboard pants & met Helga. We ended up talking and making a strong connection. Helgan and I talked the same language and intrigued each other. She's in here forties but has a fresh outlook.

I left Santa Cruz suspending judgement on whether or not I like it. Swells were tiny, overcast sky but the people were mostly pretty cool. I chanced upon route 9. The map had it winding thru the Redwoods. After several hours I began looking for a camp ground. I ended up in a natural food health store and bought a few snacks. On the way out I hear: "Michael." I turn and there's Helga. She says "That was fast."

I'm like: "Holy shit!" She introduces me to Susan who tells me of a free place to camp.

I find the place to turn easily, at a sign called "The Tollhouse". The trees are huge and the sky high canopy of leaves filter the last rays of the sun as I drive down the gravel road. I find the bathhouse Susan mentioned. It looks like it's public. Finally, I am able to take a hot shower, shit and shave. Just as I am wrapping things up I hear several vehement knocks on the door and the a "Who the fuck's in my bathroom!!"

I sing "I"ll be out in a second."

A minute later, after quickly toweling off my body and pulling on some clean clothes, I open the door calmly with a smile. A man with very little hair, 5'6" & stocky greets me. He asks "What are you doing here?" I explain that a young girl told me I could stay here and use the bathroom. While speaking with him I could not remember her name. I mentioned Helga though and told how I met her and blah blah.

His name is Trey. "You lucked out" he says. His piercing blue eyes stay in my memory and I am slightly surprised at my own calmness during the initial moments. He was radiating so much intensity. Quickly shifting gears, Trey showed me a cool spot to pitch my tent, just next to a tall straight Redwood.

I awoke quite early and had felt a strong sense of well being. Must be the Redwoods I think.