Thursday, July 14, 2005

End of the Millenium

Bill is out of town and once again has left me in charge of the estate. When ever he is leaving there is always a last minute rush and review of the various tasks that need to happen before the vacation rental begins. This morning I am following Bill around with a pencil and a couple pieces of paper, writing things down like: "clean pond filter", "fill up pond", "move table, chairs and umbrella to 1620", "go to Ventura and purchase glasses", "purchase umbrella", "get salt"... This is how it works, when Bill is packing or doing something, he's able to let the things that need attention float to the surface. He then fires them off to me in rapid succession. I record them adroitly with whatever implement is handy.

At some point, Bill mentions that he has asked Millenium to leave. I don't have much reaction. This move has been brewing for several months. I guess I thought it might drag out a little longer. Steve mentioned a few tidbits the other day that probably sealed the deal. I guess we may never know Millenium Twain's real name or why he was deported from New Zealand.

El Diablo fires up and sounds like a giant Harley. Since I am going to Ventura, my 8 ft. red and blue surfboard lies flat and upside down in the bed. When I arrive at the always full parking lot at Surfer's Point, I wonder how El Diablo will fit with its big rear wheel wells and super length. Miraculously, two spots open up ajacent to eachother and I am able to park and pull on my wet suit. Not taking any chances, I put on my rash guard and booties. As the water hits my feet, I realize that the correct apparel decision was made. The water is FREEZING! I paddle out easily because there is not too much going on. Enough to have about 13 surfers out there.

I don't even know the last time that I surfed, it has been that long. Yesterday's high volume debate with Skip underlined my need to surf. After only a few minutes out in the frigid water, my hands start to ache. I blow on them, put them under my armpits but still they ache. All I can think is: it is bleeding hot in Ojai, now I sit in the ocean and my hands are getting frostbite. The first couple waves I catch I lose my balance and plunge into the water. Finally, I think: time to get our of here, warm up my hands and get some glassware. The ocean cooperates, sending me a wave in a few minutes which I manage to stand up on and ride to the shore.