Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Scanning for shooting stars

Today was a scorcher. So far, Ojai's version of a So Cal summer has been mild; I'm talking 55 degrees at night - in July. My alarm rings at 9 AM. Instead of getting out of bed like a good boy, I roll over and drift back to sleep. John calls at some point and then I get a call from Bill; he needs me for some emergency weedwacking. This motivates me to get on with it. At some point, I decide to skip the yoga/tai chi deal. I have a good excuse... trust me. Yesterday was a bit traumatic for this cowboy. What can I say? Uhhh... how do put this? If I am going to report my life, somethings must remain unspoken, untyped, unsaid... but - and I do mean but - this is not one of them. I guess if I release this tidbit, then maybe it won't be so embarrassing and maybe just healthily humbling. So, here goes: yesterday, I had the worst hemroid experience ever. I remember George Brett was sidelined from baseball for a week or 2 for this. I now understand. We are talking one of the ultimate dilemas here. Who wants to eat when at some point it is going to come out the other end and freaking BURN! So, anyway, this is why I just wanted to chill today. The sweltering heat sealed the deal. I managed to lay down in the more shady t-house with my current read - Pattern Recognition by William Gibson. Toolio, the super chill daddy cat, came in and joined me in siesta. Read a chapter or 2 and then drift into sleep.

At the end of the day, Alla calls. Thirty minutes later she picks me up. We drive to Rainbow Bridge. Grab some water and dinner. Cruise back to the estate. Eat on the observation deck while the horizon eats the sun and the hills change to grey. The temperature does not really drop too much. Finally feels like a summer night. We drive to the hot springs. Walk up the road past blinking yellowish light. Down the trail. Sideways smiling moon provides ghost light. River provides soundtrack. We step gingerly into the hot pool of water with the river of cold water only separated by a wall of dirt and rocks. We stare at the stars. The Milky Way. Scanning for shooting stars.