Thursday, August 25, 2005

Departing Hawaii

The plane has just begun to move as I begin my last Hawaiian post of this vacation. The safety instructions are being delivered over the video system. Oops, we’re moving time to put the Powerbook to sleep.

Now, we are in the air, flying above the clouds, above the ocean that looks like the sky. It is almost like we are upside down. This morning, I did not wake up as soon as planned. I rolled off the mat/bed after 8:30 AM. I made the decision to not surf and take my time getting everything ready.

I am sending out a huge thank you to Liz, Roberto, Caio and Jade. It was awesome spending time with all of you and I will treasure this experience. Your hospitality and generosity are deeply appreciated.

Brian, Arlette, Vivi and Vini: It was so nice to be able to share some time with all of you. Thanks for giving me so much aloha.

The drive to the airport was uneventful. Jade sat quietly in the back with big brown pensive eyes. She seemed subdued, I guess she knew I was leaving the island.

I arrived about 2 and a half hours early. This was nice because HNL is such a cool airport. One of the activities I do at airports that I have never seen anyone else do is yoga and tai-chi. For me, this is a matter of common sense to practice these exercises at this time. After passing thru the various checkpoints, I walked down the steps to the outdoor waiting area that is kind of like a park. I do feel a little self-conscious practicing in front of strangers so it was nice that there were very few folks in this area. While doing yoga, I noticed an older couple watching me and then doing some yoga themselves. Who knows? Maybe a new trend will begin and it will be more common for people to utilize the down time. I’ve always thought that it’d be nice for airports to have some kind of a work out room. People could lift weights while they wait.