Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Tubes

It has been a few years since I have been ill. Normally, my energy level drop is the only sense I have that my immune system is solving a problem. This time, though, my symptoms are more pronounced. Super sore throat, achey, fatigued, head ache... and this is what I had to deal with for my 90 minute trip to LAX to get Skip. It was great to see him. As we walked to his suddenly very clean but still beat up truck - earlier that day, I'd brought it to a carwash and also had the oil changed - I informed him of my weakened condition and basically said: you're driving. Driving one way had been quite enough - it had been an endurance test.

The drive back was punctuated by Skip occassionally losing focus while on the PCH. At one point I had to grab the wheel and steer to avoid a parked car. "Thanks for that," says Skip. Also, Skip was not shifiting very smoothly, gunning the engine with too many revs before switching gears. At times, he'd act like he was Mario Andretti and we'd suddenly be racing along at 80 MPH.

"Hmm," I thought to myself, "maybe I should have driven afterall." Anyway, the trip back was still cool catching up with the king of dirt. We discussed the current situation at Bill's. Contrary to what Bill has told me repeatedly, Skip aint going nowhere. When I borught up my status he was able to clarify Bill's position more. Well... not really, it is all kind of nebulous. It is a game of hot potoato, pin the tail on the donkey, you say tomato I say freezer, the hunt for the latest scape goat. From the beginning, I knew I'd not live here forever. 2 years is a decent run. I am much better off than when I started - in multiple ways.

My last conversation was something like this:

Bill: Do you want to live in the super adobe?

Me: I'd love to live in the super adobe.

Bill: You're too moody though.

Me: You are right I am very moody... I know I can be difficult."

When I relayed this conversation to Skip he shot out a loud burst of laughter, "If that isn't the kettle calling the pot black, then I don't know what is."

The combination of being sick and Skip's eratic driving caused me to postpone the audio inerview and besides only one person asked Skip a question and that question was a bit off center:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
upier said...
I stumbled across your blog today, very enlightening. Unfortunately, I can't think of any questions to ask Skip... unless you want to ask him the question that's been haunting me lately: How do people in full body casts go to the toilet?

3:42 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skip's response to the question was: "I'm not qualified to answer that."

Me: "Tubes."

2 waves:

Blogger Leah Dunne said...

Off centre as the question may have been, it was a question none the less... There is no such thing as a stupid question. ;) Thanks for the input anyway (from both of you) I hope you are feeling better.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Dij said...

Stupid? Off center and stupid have different meanings:
off-center

adj : situated away from the center or axis [syn: off-centered]


stu·pid P Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.
A stupid or foolish person.

[Latin stupidus, from stupre, to be stunned.]

I surmise that you have not read any previous entries on Skip... and thus came up with a question that could best be described as an example of free association. It may actually offer some insight into your current state of mind.

Anyway, my health is gradually returning - thanks for asking.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home