Monday, December 05, 2005

You have the power

"Whenever negativity creeps into your mind, remember two things: You are the one who is creating the negativity with your own thinking. But more important, you have the power to stop it." Richard Carlson author of "Easier Than You Think"

When I read this quote today, my inner guide smiled and I thought, "Wow, what a beautiful and simple way to express an essential line of code in the the self-knowledge operating system. In my experience, most of us have learned to turn our backs on the gifts that we were born with. Too many friends to count, over the years, have expressed that they used to be able to think, be creative and able to feel deeply but at some point it just became to painful. When I was younger, I used to be told that I was "Too sensitive". As the years went by, I learned to not wear my heart on my sleave; I learned to wear it in my eyes, on my feet and on my hands instead. At some point, I recognized that sensitivity was a great gift and although the intention was not to compliment me - inadvertantly, it was.

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it - does it make a sound?

It makes the sound of one hand clapping. What does all this mean? Richard Carlson's quote is one of the answers to this old zen koan. We are the inventors of our own experience. The more we deny this the deeper we fall asleep.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." Buddha

Maybe it was just plain old stubborness on my part but when I hit my 5th revolution around the sun, I began to doubt some of the tenants that were being dictated to me thru the particular religion that I was raised within. The experience of being indoctrinated by Roman Catholicism was extremely important towards me becoming an intellectual rebel. It taught me that just because 750 million people all believed something, it did not mean that it was true. Over the years I have learned that people need to have shelter - not just physical shelter. Most of us need intellectual and spiritual shelter. Kind of like the frog that lived in the well. One day his cousin visits him and deciedes that he's too sheltered. Cousin's intentions are good and he takes him to one of the Great Lakes. The "well" frog goes from a very small finite world to an enormous infinite world. His head explodes. This is why the Roman Catholic church went to war with Galileo. It did not want all of its constituents' heads exploding. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king - until they discover the physical organ which makes his extra sense possible. That is when they cut it out.