Sunday, May 01, 2005

The puppy cacophony society

The puppy cacophony society began their yapping at 4 AM. I woke with a shock and immediately felt my upper back spasm. I slowed down and tried to relax. I began to open a can of dog food for them and then saw the time. Much too early, I jump back in bed trusting that the cage will contain the tornado.

I drift in and out of sleep awakening with the regular waves of puppy noise. At 6:30, I gingerly ease my body out of the bed, open 2 cans, place them outside and open the door to the sitting room. The female puppy, which I’ve named Felicity Monkey, was the only one to get out. She can easily climb the fence. She only peed once and that was the extent of the damage.

The way to let the pups out of their jail is to lift up the fence. They came rushing out like a canine river, through the kitchen and out the back door. Ten seconds later they are by the door clamoring for more. I close the inside door, put on some clothes and depart to let Angus the cat out.

I cruise back on to the estate with the Pretenders cranking “Middle of the Road” on the tuner less radio. The sun sits comfortably above the horizon as the birds sing their previous night’s dreams. I turn off some lights, clean up around the pool area, put on the Jacuzzi cover and turn on the pool filter. Next, I check in with some folks, drink some fresh squeezed OJ and then roll down the hill back to puppy headquarters.

I soak in the tub with eucalyptus oil and salt. This soaking seems to relieving the tension in my back more that anything.

Last night’s kiva performance was cancelled. Sol felt like it was a good time for everyone to decompress I guess.

I stopped at the farmer’s market on the way back to compete the retreat weekend duties. A country western band is playing a song about dosey doeing across Texas and Lucas and Cheyenne are square dancing. I see Robyn and converse with her. She’ll be doing some Thai yoga massage on me Tuesday – good news for the back spasms.

The estate shimmers in the late morning light. The guests are in the last yoga class and the silence feels like a cool breeze on a hot summer day. Everything has started late and so my closing duties begin later that usual. Finally I begin to: straighten the various outdoor spaces, empty waste bins, arrange comforters, straighten the back porch etc. I end up finishing at 3:30 PM. I feel tired having basically started this day at 4 AM.

Back in puppy world, I soak once again. My back has begun to spasm once again; mostly the right lat. The eucalyptus and salt work their magic and I am able to feel some peace. Time to walk the young couple: Rupert and Trixie. They’re both raring to go and we climb the hill quickly. If I had rollerblades on they’d pull me up the incline in no time. On the way, we see a black cat in a field that watches us closely with unblinking yellow eyes. We see 2 rabbits near the top. Soon we’re making out way down the hill. The exertion has mellowed both canines and then my cell phone jingles and vibrates: it’s Sunny. We converse briefly: Bauhaus rocked (both Daniel and Peter are great performers), Rachel totally dug ColdPlay. Then, fabulous news, Sunny and Daniel will be coming home early: tonight at 9 PM (Its 9:38 currently…). “Cool” I say.

Rachel then calls to check on Angus and let me know that she’ll be home tonight as well. She confirms that ColdPlay was awesome but gives the logistical aspects of Coachella a poor rating; thus the early departure. She just wants to return to her home, relax, chill and ground out before work tomorrow.

I think I’m gonna sleep in tomorrow.

1 waves:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didj - well writ.
ambo

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home