Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Random visitation day

I am sleeping in the big house. The craftsman home built in 1909 by Green and Green for the Pratts, the # 2 stockholders of Standard Oil. Yesterday's random wake up was Scotty, teaching his assistant the finer points of painting a house. This job will take all week. Bill timed his Zion trip well. This morning, I was again woken by the painters even though I chose a different room. They are painting bits all around the whole house so there are no quiet places. It was too late to be getting out of bed anyone so I guess I can squeeze some gratitude out of my heart of rock.

In the studio, stretching, random radio gives me some Pink Floyd "Time". When I get to tai chi, Simmsie the carpenter walks in with three folks.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm just showing some friends the studio."

"I'm doing tai chi, can you wait about 15 minutes?"

He just ignores me, turns his back. Starts telling the three people what he did to help build the place. I remain calm at his trespass and snub routine. It’s to be expected with this character. He's always bringing some one around to show the place even though Bill has told him not to do this. I return to my form, look out the window and see another group of people. I open the door, walk outside and say, "Can I help you?"

This guy has a mustache. He asks, "Where's Devin?"

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No, I called yesterday and left a message."

"Devin's in Maui and Bill's in Utah. I am in charge of the estate. This is private property. You need to make and appointment to come here or at least talk to some body."

"Do you know Marty?"

"No."

"He's a friend of Bill's. We are all Europeans, we were drinking your wine with Marty and he told us that you had a winery here. We called yesterday and wanted to see it."

"Sorry, this is a private residence. No one is here that can help you. Please call in advance."

They finally leave. I can't figure that one out. Back in the studio. Do some tai chi. Belly breathing. Moving chi.

The major task today was to make sure a plumber came in and did something about a leak in one of the bathrooms. It involves a bathtub. The fixtures are something like 60 years old. This did not bode well with the plumber. I could tell that he was ready to go home before he even arrived here. The time was around 4:30 PM when he arrived and he was not happy to be working on plumbing that is anywhere from 60 to 95 years old.

"Where do you turn off the house water?" he asks me.

"Uhh... I don't know. I'll make some calls." I call Richard, Bill and Devin. They all don't answer. I check the emergency contact list and call up Miguel. He answers and describes the location. Then Roger the plumber starts to see what is in store for him and he's moaning and cursing under his breath. Pipes are moving that should not be. He's going to have to go under. I go into one of the basements and find the easiest access to the plumbing under the floor of the bathroom. It takes him about an hour to plug up the various pipes and then he's out of there. Bill thought he'd be able to band-aid this sucker with some fixtures but that aint going to happen. The bathtub shower will need new pipes as well.

The plants on the porch are thirsty so I soak them with some water. Start topping off the pool with a bunch of water. I roll five garbage containers to the street. Shave off 4-day growth of hair on face and skull. Turn off water flowing into pool.

Finally at 9 PM, I head to Gunnar's birthday gathering in Meiner's Oaks. I decide to take the CBR 900 knowing that I'll be able to find some one to push me to start it up when I need to leave. When I arrive, Jen's in the front yard talking with 2 friends. I go in the house there's Gunnar. Wish him happy birthday, and then greet a few folks here and there. Outside I see Remy and end up talking with him. I tell him the bike situation. He agrees to give me the push I'll need. We are in the middle of flatness here.

Around 10, Gunnar lets me know that he's ready for some didjing. I wait a few minutes and then all the power goes off all around us. All the neighbor's outdoor lights go black. I realize that this is my cue to go inside and start to didj. I play for a moment or two and then the birthday cheesecake is brought in with a circle of candles burning. Every one sings the classic happy birthday song and I didj it. 10 seconds after the candles are blown out, the lights come back on. The conversation engine revs up and soon is traveling in third gear. Gunnar wants to start toning and singing and so he does. Every one gets the hint pretty quick and starts to join in. Prana grabs his slidedidge and so we play together while every one tones, sings and moans. This goes on for an hour and then we fade back.

Time for me to return to the estate. After this day of random visitation, I want to get back and make sure every thing is intact. The bike barely turns over and will not start. I wheel the bike around so that it is facing the direction that water would flow. Gravity is barely on our side as Remy starts to push me. Momentum builds up just enough. Second gear pop: no dice. I try first gear: bingo! GRRRRR... I turn around and zip by Remmy, flash him the chaka and yell "Thanks Remmy - chaka!" over the roar of the engine.