Saturday, July 16, 2005

Quarter mile split Saturday

"Wanna go run some splits", Devin says with customary enthusiasm.

"Sure", I reply thinking that it has been a week since I have run or hiked.

60 miutes later Devin and I are slowly jogging around the track to warm up. After 2 laps, we're ready. I've got the stopwatch mode on my blue digital wrist watch. Devin wants us to beat 75 seconds on each split. I start us off: "On your marks... get set... go!" I take us out of the gate quick, wanting to hold the lead. We maintain the pace thru the turn, thru the back staight away, thru the last turn, down the home stretch, neck and neck, I manage to edge him, time: 66 seconds.

The second split starts the same but when we get out of the first turn, Devind pulls about 5 yards in front. I try to catch up but my legs have led in them and my head says: "I need more oxygen, chum." Down the home stretch, I really slow down, my limbs all feel that familiar numbness and my head wobbles. Dev stretches his lead to 7 seconds. I manage to run a 73 second split, Devin matches his previous with another 66 seconds - Smoking!

Split number 3, I decide to sit out and let my body recover. I time Devin. He flies from the get go. He is really moving. He runs the first 200 in 33 or so and never slows down. His split: 66 seconds.

My third split is Devin's fourth. We start out more conservatively but quickly accelerate. I take the lead and hold it. The second turn comes and I think I can pull away but out of the corner of my left eye I see his shadow right behind mine. As we come out of the last turn, Devin slips by me, he holds on and manages to beat me by about 2 seconds. My split 68 seconds. Devin runs another 66.