Sunday, January 08, 2006

Nomadic tendencies

Once, I lived between two hills
on a delta
just above
where two streams meet
once in a while
when enough rain falls from the sky.

In this small town
I cannot remember
all the places I have lived
all the place I have slept.
Sounds a little suspicious
but I have almost always slept alone
with few exceptions - almost sounds sad.

More than once, I slept under a bridge
where water can flow in the winter
where paintings made with spray cans
and brushed on acrylic
line the cement walls
converting it into an outdoor gallery
where little white specs
of something would fall
onto my sleeping bag
while I slept
and vehicles
rattled and shook the road above.
Where one morning
I stood silently
while an unseen woman
cried for Jesus
cried for his help
and so I prayed for her
directly
no need for middle men
although
I guess that is what I became.

Another day I slept in a multi-million dollar home at night
while working on an artificial waterfall during the day
with Gates, Jai and Skip.
We carried big rocks up the hill
for Skip to place.
We shoveled dirt mixed with cement
into a tube into a plastic sock
and rammed it with a tamper.
And we dug holes in the earth with magical shovels.

The next day, I slept in a rammed earth home
off the zoning radar
created, manifested by Jai
the blonde dredded skinny long
Baghavad Gita missionary

Waking up in someone's backyard
on a futon
with only the leaves and branches
of an oak tree
between me in the sky.
The only noise, the sound of the heater sporadically
firing to life to heat the jacuzzi
which I'd soak in
before yoga and tai chi

Soon, I'll move into a geodesic dome
next to the creek that is no longer dry
built by Gates
I will sleep on a pad
on the ground.
Closer to the coyotes
and where the constant soundtrack of insects
will lull me to sleep
and welcome me awake