Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ode to Larry Bish

My friend Larry Bish
died a few days ago.
He crashed into a cement pole
under an overpass.
The cause is being investigated.
But I know how it happened.
While behind the wheel
he drifted off to sleep
and his car drifted off the road
and then his life was over.
It has been over a decade since I last spoke to him
and now I never will again.
I wish I could see him
or at least have him at the other end of a phone.
I would say: "Thank you Larry, for all you do.
You keep hope alive inside children
who have had it blasted out of them
or where it has dried up like a yellowed plant
that someone forgot to water. You nurture tortured souls back to life.
Your smile lives inside me. I remember those kids being enveloped
inside your bear hug like they have never been hugged before.
Like they were meeting love for the first time.
And then I'd see them smile with abandon,
faith restored
You carried a torch of loving fire
inside your heart and with it you
started fires inside others.
Your eyes twinkled and radiated kindness
compassion and joy."

I remember the first time I met Larry.
He looked deep in my eyes
instantly knew me
welcomed me
said: "You belong here, I think it'd be good if you worked here.
You're a good person."

I remember how Larry was always receiving and reading letters
from kids who had been inside the detention center. Years after their incarceration,
they were still in contact with Uncle Larry.

The example Larry set for me is to give
what is in your heart. Accept others, let them in,
see their beauty and acknowledge it.

I will always remember the spirit of love, joy and compassion
that resided and lived in Larry's heart
overflowing, spilling out of his mouth
shooting out of his eyes
if you were in the same room
you could feel it
and even now
I still can.

Thank you Larry, Rest In Peace

2 waves:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry was our bus driver in the late 70's. He had a degree in accounting but preferred working with kids. He would drive us from Doylestown to school everyday at LaSalle High School.

He was fun. He would stop at Duncan Donuts with us, gave us more freedom but ran a good ship.

He gave me and several others jobs with Budco Cinemas where he worked as a manager. I worked at the 309 Drive-in and the Bucks County Drive-in. He also taught me to drive using his car.

I haven't seen him since then but was very sad to hear of his death.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Dij said...

Kieth,
Thanks for sharing your memories. It brought back memories of Larry telling me about his days at the movie theatre and how it led to BCYC.

Larry touched so many lives in a positive way. It's nice to know that he won't be forgotten.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home