Sunday, February 06, 2005

Mini vacation at Mammoth Mountain

I have just returned to Ojai under huge ripe storm clouds. Bill, Will and myself journeyed to Mammoth for a couple days of skiing and snowboarding. As a bardo surfer, I, of course, snowboarded. It was the first time in 7 years but the technique of carving the mountain like a big thanksgiving turkey came back after just a couple runs. I had a few mishaps which rang my bell like it was time for dinner in a quiet temple in the middle of nowhere. When the edge of the board catches it whips you to the ground like a ragdoll. I had this happen a few times but it only made me concentrate more on what I was doing. Soon enough my confidence grew and I was able to relax and enjoy the speed and the exhilaration it brings. The various folks I met on the chairlifts and gondala were all from Southern California. The base was 130 inches. One more good snowstorm and Mammoth will be open until June. We soaked in a natural hotspring this morning. The drive back took 5 1/2 hours.