Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The quest for a didj down under Part I

Once, I had long hair past my shoulders. While visiting a friend in LA, I shaved it off revealing a smooth skull underneath. 3 days later, I hop on a plane and fly to Australia. My arrival in Sydney felt surreal. My ability to connect with others felt diminished like I was just out of step; on a different wavelength. My head felt odd and I felt a bit self conscious. Those that I came in contact with seemed to avoid making eye contact and any discourse seemed to be cut off abrubtly. I boarded a bus, sat down and began my journey to Byron Bay. The trip was uneventful. Much of it took place during the night. We drove thru the outback and I soaked in the vast open spaces.

We arrived in Byron Bay in the morning and I could see a bunch of generation x types awaiting, apparently for us. As I got off the bus I realized that they all represented various hostels and bed and breakfasts. Quickly, a cute girl around 20, long dark hair, began talking to me and before I knew it I was in the back of a Holden, heading for The Arts Factory. It was only a mile or 2 away. My disconnection and slight feelings of alienation continued but I still was able to appreciate how cool this place was. I decided to stay in my tent initially and then the rain started to fall. It rained for 3 days and I just slept and slept. On the third day, I awoke to see the clouds rolling back like curtains revealing a beautiful sun. The last moments of a dream lingered: A woman, earth goddess-like, whispering in to my ear: It's all right, everything is perfect. From that moment onward, a switch had been flicked and I felt connected. I moved into the one of the tee-pees and began to meet and connect with other folks.

One day later, an Austrian guy, about a year older that me entered the tent. His name was Manny. We became good friends quickly. Much happened in Byron Bay. I surfed and met amazing people like Zac from Tasmania. I connected with one beautiful blonde girl from I forget where and one night we kissed under the sparkling stars after a night spent with some Hari Krishnas.

Manny enters the tent, its about 16 days later, I have been in Byron Bay for about 3 weeks. He says he has a ride to Harvey Bay and that it leaves in an hour "Do you want to go?" The rest of the plan unfolds: We are heading to Frazier Island.