Monday, January 09, 2006

Battery neglect

These are the easy warm days of January. The next retreat is a few weeks away - leaving plenty of time for tai chi, yoga and sleeping until whenever. Today, I awoke and never even looked at a clock until after I’d rewound some time and defrosted my limbic system within the confines of the yoga temple. Toolio the cat, waited for me outside and when I finished he delivered his classic “Meow.” This time it meant ‘I’m hungry’ – the give away being the licking of his thin lips while staring at me intently.

I decided to work a couple hours today pulling weeds out of the ground at my friend John’s house. This task is quite grounding. I do a type of meditation, which involves getting a kinesthetic sense of the roots as I yank them out of the earth. My knees get a little stiff and sometimes an ant will take a small bite out of my hand. After 2 hours, I have some lunch money and a sense of doing something productive.

The WiFi signal over here at the Sir Angus housesit has gone on hiatus leading me to take advantage of the Farmer and the Cook’s signal. Thus, after my meal of salad, avocado, quinoa, shredded carrot, shredded beet, wild rice, sprouted something etc, I surfed the web.

At one point, John Hemp came inside with his 17 inch PowerBook and enlisted a consultation on one of his new products – labels for a line of hemp powder super food for smoothies.

Two hours plus after parking my motorcycle, I learn that I left my ignition on. The battery on my motorcycle went nearly dead as a consequence of my negligence. I went in and enlisted John Hemp to give me and the bike a push in order to pop start the engine. After four attempts, I concluded that the battery was too rundown. John offered the use of his new yellow portable jump starter. This contraption actually worked to some extent. It got the bike running but even after letting it run for 15 minutes, the battery would not charge enough and conk out when I turned the light on.

Plan B took effect: call friends that live nearby. Jennifer: not home. Johnny, answers, says “Sure you can leave it in my driveway and do you want to borrow my charger?”

John Hemp drove me back to the house sit so I could get the cat in and feed it. Now I’m on foot; lucky that it’s such a small town. Tomorrow I will be jogging.