Monday, January 23, 2006

Hitch hiking random waves of peops

Sunday October 13, 2002 Big Island, Hawaii

Fittingly received a mini sermon from Manu. Soon enough, I'm back on the beach with Robert. Swam in the ocean for the first time here. It was a bit itimidating for me. I'll definitely need some flippers to join the dolphins although I have my doubts whether I'd see any. It felt nice to practice yoga, chi gong and tai chi on the beach. I spoke with Vladimir. He's always curious about my little exercises and didjeridoo technique (circular breathing). Left with Robert. The first ride that picked us up hitch hiking left us at the Spigget. 3 peops in the van. No one said a word. Tension written on their faces and shining in their eyes. Furtive glances. After the driver let us out we breathed a sigh of relief. Took a while for the next ride. I didjed the passing vehicles who refused to give us a ride heeding Manu's advice: "Bless everybody."

Fianlly, a guy named Anthony stopped and made room for us in his Honda Civic with a hatchback. He was right on our wavelength and stopped a the healthfood store and then took us, along with a chick with dreds, to the farmer's market where he dropped us off.

I chilled at the market briefly. Intrigued by an exchange between Mr. Ascension and Michael Hyson. Mike's conclusion: "This is a bureaucrat's view of the universe." Then, a woman named Gina invited me to her house for some throat singing and chanting. She's enthused about the didj.

I ran into Bud again and he offered to give me a lift back to Pahoa. On the way out, a guy named Ed asked if I was Mike. He wanted me to share info about the didj. He mentioned Gina's class. I told him that she's invited me. He said he'd give me a lift.

I ended up at Bud's place which actually is in close proximity to the Hari Krishinas. We could hear their devotional music seeping into his house. Bud's got lots of bananas. He's mostly solar powered, has 11 acres, 4 dogs and a growing cat population. He cooked me 3 cheese fajitas and reccomends the ETB card. We talked as the light grew dimmer and then Bud lit two kerosene lanterns. Sugar cane grass grows like crazy on his property and he uses Round Up to eradicate patches of it. The process takes like 4 weeks. He's planted many trees and is proud of them.