Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Pluto

Have you heard about the space probe that’s just about to be launched - destination Pluto? What do you think the power source is? Tick, tick, tick… The answer: Plutonium of course. What surprises is me is that there’s a bunch of people protesting. All I can think of is Duh! The damn planet is called Pluto! What do you expect? I suppose they’re all nervous about the radiation or something. Well, I got some news for ya, there is not any life from the stratosphere to Pluto. But there’s a whole lotta radiation. It’s called the solar wind. You all want to protest about radiation poisoning? Then how about all the spent uranium that is all over Iraq. Maybe it’s because the story is so under reported or something but no one seems to care about it. But power a space probe with some plutonium and suddenly there’s a protest fiesta.

As you may have guessed, I have not surfed in over a week now. I have been waiting for the toxicity levels to go down since it rained a few days ago. Hey, there’s something to protest: The pollution of our streams, creeks and rivers from run off. What happens: sounds like the biggest culprit that is impacting my main surf spot is from fertilizers creating insane nitrate levels.

Life is good as far as where I am sleeping these days. My current house sit is just a block away from my favorite chow down locale: Farmer and the Cook. It’s also a hotspot which has become especially handy due to the sudden failure of Internet access here at my house sit. Tonight, a young local artist had a reception for a series of paintings that depicted horses. There were also paintings of a naked woman. Hmm… horses and naked women, where’s Sigmund Freud when you need him?

The last several days, I’ve been working for cats. They are the ideal pets. Their hygiene, their independence; basically, they are low maintenance. Dogs, on the other hand, require much more attention. This past weekend, I enjoyed a beautiful house with a Jacuzzi and a heated lap pool. The dogs were both Shelties. Started off shy but soon came around. The puppy showered me with affection. Just before I was about to leave, they both managed to get out of the gated, secure area. They decided to go under the porch where, of course, my access was quite limited. Eventually, the maid and I teamed up to get them back inside the fence. But this, along with a few other incidents, has reinforced my high opinion of cats.

Earlier today, as I was backing out of the driveway, I sensed something, I don’t know if it was a noise or if I spotted her out of the corner of my eye, but Na’la had climbed into the vehicle. I stopped the SUV, opened the window and out she jumped. She seemed pretty nonchalant about her little driving experience and sat and watched me curiously as I drove away.

My destination: the hospital. John’s wife has slipped into a coma. I went in and visited for a short while. Afterwards, I mowed his lawn and then let some one in the house who was picking up some medical equipment. It always surprises me how unhealthy everyone looks in the hospital. I’m talking about the workers, obviously the patients are all gonna be ill. But when the employees are all over weight it’s kind of a tip off, for me at least. I then got a call from John; he wanted me to relieve his vigilance for a hour or so while he goes to his house, takes a shower and put on a change of clothes.

So then it’s just Jovanka and me inside the hospital room. She’s been unconscious for 2 or 3 days now. Her breathing is labored. She’s hooked up to a bunch of tubes that administer food, painkillers and tranquilizers. There’s also machines that measure her hear rate and blood pressure. During the 90 minutes or so that I am there, she only makes two noises. If there were any problems, I was instructed to hit the red button which would have brought a nurse in. But nothing happened and I just read the sports section of the Ventura Star, a book by Greg Bear and listened to her breathe as if she were running around a track at a good pace.

In Roman mythology, Pluto was the god of the underworld, the god of death. We are now sending a probe to visit this icey planet whose growth was stunted. It will travel thru the vacuum of space for 9 years.
Link

2 waves:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Didj - Check out Bardo Surfer on http://www.ojainetwork.com/ - search for yourself or look under books/publications. Keep on writin'...

2:00 PM  
Blogger Dij said...

Ty, I like the new site. Thanks for the link.
-Didj

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home