Saturday, January 14, 2006

Paul Human and Michael Didj

Sir Angus did not care that it was raining this morning. This cat does not like peeing in a litter box. Would you? So, the orange and white tabby stood just above my head and meowed until I woke up and let him outside. The time was like 9:30 AM or something and was close enough to my target time of getting off the couch, thus began my day.

Yesterday I'd already begun to anticipate the performance that Paul Human and I were scheduled for - up in the Yoga Studio for Robyn's birthday yoga class. Paul and I have not jammed since 2004, I think, so I was pretty excited. But, like any good story, there had to be some kind of challenge, right? I mean, nothing major, nobody's getting hurt or nothing... just some good old-fashioned mechanical failure kinda deal, so don't get all flummoxed or whatever.

Everything goes fine as far as brushing teeth and all that, feed the cat, give him a quick invigorating massage that he enjoys so much that he meows disapprovingly when you stop. Perfect, always leave him wanting more. Now it is time to leave for the Yoga performance, meet up with Paul Human and play that didj. Alrighty then, start up the ole CBR 900... ut oh... the battery just clicks, won't even turn over. Time to start walking.

The walk up is actually invigorating and helps clear up my sinuses. Oh yeah, I didn't tell you how much I was sneezing this morning. Lots and lots of flem. That's the price last night's giant burito, take it like a man and cover your mouth when you sneez, OK? Thus the walk feels nice and there is one of those Zen moments when a bunch of quale get startled and start flapping their wings in unison while only 10 feet away. Just below the estate, Jean Benois appears in his brown Range Rover, picks me up and drops me in front of the studio.

My arrival is right at 11 AM and I can see Paul sitting on the big rug in the corner with all of his instruments spread out around him: Tibeatan bowls, a black 'Johnny Cash' guitar, shakers, scratchers, thurnder making thing etc. He's got this huge set of wings ontop of a small blanket in front. They are silky black - 5 foot wingspan. When I see him, I am surprised to see that he's lost at least 30 pounds, looks a bit older, has a longish beard goatee kind of thing and long hair tucked under a hat. His eyes light up and we greet eachother with a warm hug.

Robyn delays the start of the class - remember, this is California - translation: there's gonna be some stragglers. While the class of friends patiently waits, Paul and I make some music, easy slow, simple and tentaive. We use the time to get sonically reaquainted. He strums the black guitar and I sing thru the didj searching for harmonies and rhythm.

Finally, the class begins and Robyn states her intention clearly and thanks everyone for sharing in this day of celebration. We all circle up and hold hands, walk in a big circle counter-clockwise and then clockwise. The yoga postures and movements begins and so does the Paul Humand and Michael Didj performance. The music comes easy, I let Paul take the lead and sit back in a role of support. We start very slowly and then the energy starts to build and we lose are selves as our instruments become vehicles of divine expression. We are inspired by the tone set by Robyn as she confidantly leads every one thru the asanas that have sprung out of the foundation of our intentions for growth and integrity.

I listen as Paul sings his songs that fit so perfectly with the moment, with the context of the situation. At one point he is chanting like a Tibetan monk and suddenly we are all transported into an ancient Tibetan monastery being showered with sacred blessings. Before we know it, every one is in Shavasana. We allow the blanket of silence to cover us all and then Sunny mouths to me: "Blow that thing." I grab the didj and start chanting; "OM MANI PADME HUM, OM AH HUM, OM GATI GATI PARA GATI PARA SUMA GATI BODHISVAHA, OM BRAMAH VISHNU SHIVA..." And then it is time for silence once again. I lay down and then Robyn plays: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo Ole'.