Thursday, January 26, 2006

Keep on skating

Sir Angus hurries out of the bedroom just as I enter the sitting room. He's very intent on getting outside and taking care of business. I am back in the silver Land Cruiser less than a minute from when I pulled up. Then it is onward to the skateboard park for my third day in a row of helping Highlove with the repairing of the quarter pipe.

This day was marked again by many of the kids helping out. Today, they painted much of the park black. They all seem pretty jazzed by the color change. This does not surprise as it seems that 90% of the kids are wearing black t-shirts. One of the older kids, "Over the Fence" Mike, must have put in at least 5 hours today painting. He's on total volunteer time and is a professional painter. Xander and Will came thru in a big way when they climbed down into the cement runoff - ajacent to the park - and cleaned up all the garbage that had been thrown down there.

Xander really impresses me. He's so humble and unassuming, contributes all the time. While he won the state tournament this past summer. When I asked him for some details, he told me that the best kids from Northern California and Southern California from the ages of 13 to 18 were there. Xander is 15 years old and won it. I offered him congratulations and said how proud I was. I am still blown away, wow! To think 3 years ago I was taking him surfing and climbing. I even let him belay me on a 5.8. Sky's the limit Xander, keep on skating.

Meanwhile, Mark and I worked out buts off putting the quater pipe back together while 15-20 kids are skating the mini ramp and the pyramid. Carol Belser stops by and talks with Mark for a while. Then she takes a photo of him while he's screwing something into something. She's applying for some grant money to get reimbursed for all of this repair work going on.

Mark had me sawing and painting for much of this day while the music pumps out of his little beat up beat box. The sound of all the kids skaiting fills the air. It starts around 3, when they are all out of school. I am amazed by how good so many of these kids are. Sean was telling me how the kids have all been getting much better and that they are really chomping at the bit for some cement. All I know is that the majority of them are extremely willing to pitch in and always respectful.