Thursday, March 10, 2005

Icarus revisited

The myth of Icarus can be a guide to the way we take in information. Food is a kind of information just as the various medias can be food for the mind. To me, in this context, Icarus represents the soul. When Icarus flew too high, the wax, housing his feathers, melted. Like a tree in the fall shedding its leaves, the feathers fell to the earth. He lost altitude and soon was too close to the ocean, his wings became saturated. Consequently, he tumbled into the sea and drowned. The story suggests a balanced way to live. When we take in too much information without allowing a period of digestion, we can feel heavy and depleted. Our wings become wet and we sink into the subconscious waters of our being. On the other side of the coin, fasting (going without food consciously), can lead to feelings of ungroundedness. Untethered, like a kite whose string has snapped - Icarus flying too close to the sun and melting his wings.

These observations come from my own experience over the years at looking at my body as a labratory and performing archeology on my mind. Recently, I've found my wings getting slightly damp from a slight inbalance in my intake and my activity levels. The last few days have seen a correction in the trajectory of my soul. According to the calendar, spring has another 2 weeks to arrive. In my lab, phoenix has risen from the ashes of winter. The fire of the sun is drying the feathers of my wings, the dampness of my lungs, the congestion in my mind. I have held on to thoughts and ideas which did nothing but weigh me down. They've been my ballasts. I held onto to names of people and revolved my awareness on perceived injustices. My brow furrows as I silently recite the litany of disorder, disrespect - the distance from me and the world grows. My face changes shapes wearing various frowns like a child trying on hats in grandmother's attic. I found a frown that fit and my heart went to sleep. I watched this pattern and now I act from the physical front and the mental front - simultaneously. Spring has sprung and Persephone is released from hades once again, like a kite raised from the toy box to ride the winds of March.