Saturday, March 12, 2005

The leak

Devin said "Hey Didj, do you want to go for a jog up the Pratt Trail?"
I hesitate and then I answer "Yes."
I tie my sneakers, walk to the porch, wait a few minutes and then Devin is ready. Scout, his big yellow lab, joins us. We trot down the gravel road which runs along the edge of the front wall of stone. As we make the left onto the dirt road which goes along the southern border, we notice that it is wet. We follow the stream of water to its source: the jacuzzi pump motor. A seal has broken and the jacuzzi is draining. Devin continues his jog and I am left with the responsibility of organizing a solution to this dilema. I make several calls. I talk to Bill, the owner of this estate who is skiing in Mammoth. He suggests I call Billy S. He calls Migel. Devin calls Quick Plumber. Migel has one of his "boys" come by. He inadvertantly turns off the electricity in the yoga studio and the pool bathrooms while killing the pool electricity. I spot this and make the correction. Next, Quick Plumber arrives and he quickly determines that he cannot fix the spa pump, stop the leaking or even figure out where the water is coming from. He says that the plumbing is to complex and who ever set it up should fix it. I take him up to the south winery where he's supposed to check a faulty drain. He ends up getting his snake stuck in the drain hole but eventually pulls it out and drives away in his blue van. Billy S arrives while I am in the kitchen getting a big serving of the left over mushroom barley soup. I step out side and see his big white diesal truck. I find him down by the spa motor. He cannot stop the leak either. Strike 3. He says he'll come back tomorrow. He thinks that a valve has broken. So now the water is liesurely making its way down Foothill Road. Normally, everything flows more smoothly than this. When the electricity went out, I began to feel overwhelmed but then I just gave myself a pep talk and regained a healthy sense of perspective.
Earlier in the day, John S called to ask me if I could turn off his basement light and lock the door to it. It turns out that he had left the keys in the lock. He lives a minute away so that was easy. He was a few hours into a trip to his other home in the desert with his wife when he remembered.
Tonite, the mist has returned. We are in a cloud. The fog will be here when we wake and then the morning sun will burn it away. Wild Miners lettuce is growing all over the grounds. It likes all the rain we've had, the fog and is tasty-nutritious. Tomorrow, I will pick a bunch for lunch.