Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Accept the challenge

Last night, Angus the cat decided that he did not want to come in the house before dark. He sat up on the roof of a house that is little more than a car length away. I tried several times, calling out his name, crinkling the plastic which contains his treats, whistling, clapping and singing his name. I tried to lure him in with promises of a good scratch. Alas, Angus ignored me like the cat he is. I gave Sunny a call and informed her of Angus' rebellion. This has been ongoing. She arrived at the scene a half hour later while I sat on the couch watching "My Life Aquatic" - a film starring Bill Murray. She spent an hour out there trying to get the cat in. Finally, she gave up and went back to her home down the road realizing that he's just being a cat. I reassured her that he'd be fine. "The roof is very safe." I said.

After the movie, Rachel (Angus' owner) calls for a status report. While talking with her, I grab a flashlight and go outside. I shine the light up on the roof but am unable to spot Angus. I sense something and look to the right on the ground. Theerrrre's Angus. He's walking towards me, tail slowly whooshing back and forth. I give Rachel the play by play keeping my cell squeezed between my shoulder and ear, scooping up the orange and white cat. She's very relieved and thanks me for coming thru.

Maybe you remember Sunday's post about the hand analysis? Lynn told me to be more authentic with my emotions. Thus, early today while planting three trays of sun loving ground succulents along the side of a hill while the bees made love to the flowers, I kept thinking over and over about something Dianna had said to me this past Sunday night about Burning Man in 2003.

Dianna: "I still can't believe how lazy you were at Burning Man."

So its like 36 hours later and I can't stop thinking about it. At 5PM I complete the planting task and call her. She does not answer so I leave a message on the phone. Basically, I say that her judgement of my being lazy at Burning Man is outrageous because its none of her business what I did at Burning Man. Second of all, "You're wrong. Third of all to be holding on to this falsity that's none of your business anyway for 2 years is pathological." I suggested that she get some kind of help and expressed my concern for her well being.

I felt so good after the call. I didn't feel vindictive. I felt authentic. Identify, display, communicate.

I am grateful that she expressed herself though. It took alot of hard alcohol. But she said it. Now, I realize that I'll definitley not be staying or have anything to do with OBOP. They are the closest thing to a concentration camp that you can get to at Burning Man. I forgave them for the 2003 whip snapping politics, hierarchial high jinx and self induced blindness thru intoxication. I forgave but I forgot as well. But I have remembered. Tonight, I heard that there's an anti-work Ojai camp this year. How refreshing.

Bill, Devin, Nick, Will and I ate dinner at Shangra La this Evening. Out of the blue, Bill asks Devin and I if we'll have a 1 mile race. He offers to give 500 to the winner. There's a 50 dollar entry fee. Devin and I both agree. Next, he gets Gates on the phone and asks him. Surprisingly, Gates immediately accepts the challenge. "I've never lost a one mile race." Steve proclaims.