Saturday, June 11, 2005

The horizon approached the sun

Yesterday, just as the horizon approached the sun, I put on my new running shoes and ran up to the top of Foothill Road. I began at the midpoint and jogged the whole half mile. Initially, the steep incline challenged my initiative. Doubts found their way to the surface of the lake of my consciousness: what were you thinking? you don't stand a chance. Lucky you can still back out of the 1 mile Bmo challenge. The thoughts popped up as my legs felt heavy and my lungs struggled to distribute oxygen. Instead of identifying with them, I just watched and kept running. My body relaxed and I picked up the pace for the last 100 yards or so.

The downhill half flew by. the wind rushed against my face and bald head as I ran. The jacuzzi made the perfect finish line.

My new Nike running shoes are awesome. They know what they're doing. These kicks have lots of bounce, fit snug, are light, super comfortable and look sharp.

Tonight, I had a mini concert with a keyboardest and a percussionist. Somehow I managed to arrive before 10. My CBR 900 was parked at the corner of Lion and Eucalyptus. As I was about to push the bike to the top of an incline - in order to pop it - (Battery's funky or something), a cop car appeared at the other end of the street and parked across from my friend Daniel's house. The cop turned off his lights and walked toward Daniel's house. Curious, I walked down the street. Rock n roll music could be heard louder and louder as I got closer. Sure enough, the music was coming out of his motorcycle shed. What the heck is all I could think. I went in and turned it off. The policeman walks up and shines his flashlight on me.

"Sorry officer, I know th music was too loud."

"No problem, thanks for turning it off."

He's a pretty young guy. Totally cool about it. Turns like he's gonna take off right then. Then, Daniel can be heard on the other side of the fence along with his 4 puppies and 2 dogs.

Daniel: "What time is it?"

Cop: "It doesn't matter. The music was too loud and creating a disturbance. A neighbor called-"

Daniel: "Is it 8:30?"

Cop: "It's too loud. Creating a disturbance."

Me: "It's 9:30."

Daniel: "Oh."

The cop leaves.

I walk the block back to my bike, push it to the bridge, turn the ignition on, push it to the incline, hop on step it into first gear - nothing. Try again, this time push it down the incline, run, run 3 or 4 steps, hop on and pop it vrmmmmm second times the charm. 9:56, I walk into the yoga studio and join the 2 other musicians. Our audience consists of six women. We are able to mesh nicely and immediately. We play for 20 minutes and it goes well. I field some questions and share some didj mythology and methodology. The music was very well received.

Afterwards, some of us rejoin in the jacuzzi, savoring the hot water and champaign bubbles. We watch for shooting stars among the heavens during this moonless moment.