Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Cruising on some Harleys

I had two back to back snafus with the bike today. 1: I found my key on the on position (this drains the battery), after a typically scrumptious meal at Farmer and the Cook. The bike still started. I climbed a hill on my Fireblade. The engine gave the early warning signs that it needed some gas. 2: I then remembered that I'd switched on to reserve a few days ago. Thus my lightening fast cbr 900 came to a stop. I pushed it to the nearest gas station, filled it up and then it would not start. The mechanic gave me a push but still the engine would not fire. I thanked him for his help and pushed the bike along a street and then up a hill. The third time coming down this small incline was the charm, I gave a bit of gas as I popped it in first gear, the engine roared to life and I sped off and up hwy 33 to recharge the battery.

Next on my meandering agenda was to visit Sunny, Daniel, their 2 dogs and 7 puppies. When I pulled up, Daniel was in the shed city area spreading pea gravel with a rake. Before I know it I'm on one of his Harleys. This one is a chopper with the handle bars way up in the air. A much different riding position then my sport bike. Daniel rode with me with his Triumph the first time. I wore a tortoise shell helmet and this made me more aware of the various contortions my face makes when riding that are normally hidden by my full face helmet. It was easy to smile. I enjoyed this Harley experience. The next Harley of his I rode was more of a boat and a newer model. Much more flashier - red with big crome pipes that are pretty low to the ground. This lowness made me more cautious around turns because I did not want to scrape them. Both Harleys rattled alot but I definitey dug their vibe.

When we got back, Daniel suggested that I clean my bike. The cleaner he throws me ends up oxidizing on my aluminum frame and every where else I sprayed it: engine block, pipe etc.. So then I ended up scubbing it with a brillo and various metal polish and then hand polishing it with an old t-shirt. This turned into a 3 hour project but now my bike is gleaming. For now on I will test out cleaners on a small part of the bike before spraying the whole thing.