Friday, April 08, 2005

Evangelical meat musings

Tony and I speed off the estate in his beat up old Toyota Camry. It's silver with damage on the driver's door. We keep the windows down because of the fumes from his recently treated fuel injectors. There's no time to spare. If traffic cooperates we'll walk in during the trailers. We both need to talk about something and so the time goes by quick and cold. We slalom thru the fairly light 101 traffic and time is on our side. Within 2 miles of our exit, we see that the Johnson Street exit is closed. We exit on Wagon Wheel but are unable to find our way to the theatre in the allotted time.

The next morning, I check on the big green tent to see how it fared on the observation deck. The wind had picked up during the night and whipped the trees and debris around a bit so it did not surprise me that my big new tent collapsed. Bill does not like it there anyway. I have found another local.

I finally played a set of tennis today. Devin proved to be a worthy adversary. He won 6-4. It definitely could have gone my way. I blew too many game points on my serve to count. One word summary: choke a cola. It was great fun to get on the court and play. Nice way to release the pent up tension that inevitably collects in my lymbic system. Devin has a good net game and was able to exploit my passing game. My lobs were ok and my serve was just a bit off. I only held serve once! His serve is weak. Once I get my stroke, the out come will be different. Stay posted.

Tomorrow nght will see Ojai's first big party since the New Year celebrations. My friend Guy and his partner Julia will be hosting this bash. I've been asked to invite A listers but it sounds like the word has spread like wild fire. Many folks will be coming from the bay area as well as the countless locals. I may perform with the didj.

Dinner with Will, Bill and Tony was cool at Azoos. They fulfilled their carnivorous cravings and I enjoyed a simple salad with butter nut squash soup. Bill loves to try and get me to eat meat. His premise is that he thinks this will make me more attractive to women. I find his evangelical meat musings entertaining and they always bring a smile to my vegan face.

Back in Bill's house, in front of the fire in the sitting room, Tony and Bill jam together on their guitars. Willy squirms all over the seat, unable to appreciate the sweet musical dialogue. Bill gets on a roll and starts channeling Dylan as he improvises a song about burning buildings and lost homes. Willy lets himself slide off the couch and hit the floor with a slight thump. He wants to be stimulated by something or someone. He's just 8 years old but his imagination seems to be stagnating. I've been teaching him tennis for a few months and his interest and motivation have waned.

Healthy discovery of the week: chard and carrot juice