Monday, April 11, 2005

A slice of life hold the mayo

I just returned from watching the movie: Sin City. I've never read the graphic novels that this flick is based on but I could sense the cartoonish influence. I strongly recommend checking it out but be forewarned that there's quite a bit of violence. Tony drove us in his beat up Toyota that has the damaged driver's door. The smell from the fuel injectors only kicked in for a few minutes while on the highway.

Earlier today, I was pulling weeds out along the side of John's driveway. He was helping a bit as we talked about the storyline of one of his screenplays and his experiences that its based on. John gave me a copy of his screenplay: Sons of Freedom. There's a bunch of distributors reading this one including a famous actor. If the actor agrees to do it then the whole thing will start floating within a day. My feeling is that it will happen. I've only just started reading the script though. The first scene takes place at Kent State. A couple guys burn their draft cards and then head up to Canada. It's all based on a true story but of course there's dramatic embellishments. The heart of the story deals with how the chidren of these Russians who live in communes get taken away and put in schools behind barbed wire. This actually did happen in Canada and was in all the papers at the time. The Canadian government gave asylum to a bunch of these Russians because they were being persecuted. They gave them land to live on. The Russaians remained isolated for 20 years, not paying taxes, home schooling and not registering for the draft. The draft issue broke the camels back. I was kind of shocked to hear this when John told me today. I've always thought that Canada was above the fascist crimes against humanity trip. I guess every country has a sordid side to its history that is swept under the rug.

Because of the delay in getting a distrutor, production won't start until September. I was hoping it would start earlier because of the weather getting colder and all. I guess I will need some warm clothing. Canada has a tendency to get kind of cold...