Sunday, April 17, 2005

Zig zagging away

This day began at 8 AM with a phone call from Dev giving me a heads up on the low pool level. The season of evaporation has begun and the pool level must be watched closely to keep the filter from getting angry. Last night I heard the sucking sound that it makes that lets me know to add water. I opened the valve slightly last night but not enough. Thus my day began.

The yoga studio is currently the seminar studio. I chose to practice my yoga near the pool in the sun. The jacuzzi was just over body temperature and I soaked in it first to warm up the muscles. Just as I finished my yoga series, I heard and saw Julie drive by in her white Honda with a big ladder up on the roof. I met her down at Skip's hovel and then we walked up the trail. I let her carry the rope and I carried the climbing gear. Foothill Crag was our destination and the trail there is all uphill. My breath was somewhat labored and I resolved to start running regularly.

I decided to top rope Rutheless Poodles, a 4 star classic, instead of leading it, due to my long hiatus from climbing. While self-repelling down the wall, I only threaded in one strand instead of doubling up. I will never do that again. It sure felt nice to stand on the ground in one piece. I suggest to Julie that she climb it first and she agrees, She has not climbed in a while and so its not surprising that she asks me to tie the figure eight knot that all climbers use. It took me a few minutes but then I remembered how to tie this simple knot.

I have to say in retrospect that Julie has alot of courage to be climbing. She climbed up the initial part of the route slowly but surely. Her blonde hair shined in the sun and her legs were smooth and toned.There's kind of an overhang that one can zig zag up that is the crux of this classic. The moves are kind of awkward and the stress of the height is compounded by the wall of rock hanging over you. That's why this baby's rated a 10b. My technique is to not look down or up but diagonally. This is where Julie struggled and let out a yell of frustration. I was glad to hear it. I enjoy and welcome the relaease of pent up emotion - especially when it is mine. Of course, these releases need to be performed in the appropriate environment... Five minutes later, I lowered her down to the ground at her request. The crux was just too much this attempt.

Now it's my turn to scale this wall of solid sandstone. I begin slowly and then easily arrive at the crux. Let the zig zagging begin. It has been a while since I've been in this spot. I take my time and search for the right places to place my hands and let my feet do all the work. This is the essence of the technique of climbing - trust your feet. I came close to freezing and then I just pushed myself onward. Just go for it I tell myself. Julie's got the rope and will easily help me defy gravity - if need be. I manage to make the moves fairly calmly and reach the anchor without falling. I did go touch off route and so I have something to prove to myself the next time around.

Julie's second attempt on Rutheless P. is successful. I am pleasantly surprised. She stayed on route and did not use any aid. Wow, impressive. I coached her a little bit and provided minimal beta (instruction). Way to go Julie!

While repelling down the wall earlier I could hear my cell phone ringing. Turns out it was Maya. She's someone I met last weekend at my friends', (Guy and Julia), party. Maya is a recent transplant from NYC to LA. She had decided that she did not want to live in LA anymore. Someone told her about Ojai and so she drove here. She went into Rainbow Bridge and met the amazing Iratia who promptly told her about the big party. Now she wants to move to Ojai. I return her call and we decide to meet at Rainbow Bridge.

Julie and I head back down the trail and savor the feeling of accomplishment. We decide to climb together again next week.

Now it's time to meet up with Maya. I pull up on my CBR 900 and she greets me with a sweet smile and a hug. I ask her if she wants to ride on the bike to Farmer and the Cook and she agrees. I take it slow and shift smoothly. It feels so nice to have a beautiful woman on the back of my bike and before you know it we arrive at our destination. F&C is packed. Oak Grove, a nearby private school, is celebrating earth day and many of the attendees head here for some real food. We eat and savor the delicious simplicity of raw living food.

We check out Oak Grove's earth day and then bike to Full Circle Farm. This is a community that Maya wants to check out as a possibility for her to live. The road feels smooth and soon we are winding up Dennizen Grade. The switchbacks provide a roller coasterish vibe and I can feel her thighs tighten on my hips as she tenses slightly with the approach of each sweeping turn. I take it easy, shift smoothly and feel her fingers lightly press and caress my abs.

Deva the big black malmut and sometyhing else dog greet us with her trademark voice that is not barking but dog talking whining. She comes right to me, lays on her back and lets her face relax as I remove tics and foxtails from her chest. The Full Circle visit goes well. Maya meets Remmy, he's lived there half a year and is mellow and cool. He gives us a tour and says "Later, gotta cook". Just as we are about to leave, Bob arrives. She'd already met him at Guy's bash and so he seemed pretty inviting to her staying there. He says goodbye - has to get ready for a wedding.

I bike us back to her red Pontiac and we say good bye. It was a nice afternoon. Before night falls, I am turning on lights, turn on the jacuzzi... yeah, I think I might have to have another soak...