Friday, April 15, 2005

A giant game of Tetrus

The marathon house rental period has begun. Right now I am directing cars and suvs on where to park. Basically, it's like a giant game of tetrus but the shapes are a lot less complicated. Normally, we rent to yogis. The next 7 days, an organic food company will be residing here. After that we will have a 4 day yoga retreat. I guess I have been spoiled by the beautiful yogi women because this looks like the population will be mostly males with big bellys. Just because its organic doesn't mean that its healthy. They will be usisng the yoga studio (for seminars) from 8 in the morning till 5 in the afternoon. This means that I will need to wake up around 6:30 in order to practice yoga and tai-chi or wait until the afternoon or find somewhere else... The nicest ride so far is a red Jaguar. (My friend Daniel just bought one last week. His is a convertable and a bit older.)

Just got back from another Tetrus move, this piece had three more dudes in it.

I must give thanks that I am able to blog while working. This job is pretty eclectic and requires someone with an elastic schedule. This is one of the reasons it fits me so well. Thru out my life, I have consistantly avoided the typical 9 to 5 job. I realized at a young age that regular hours and mundane office work would kill me.

When I quit the youth counselor job (inside a maximum security detention center for juvenile delingquents) in Doylestown, Pennsylvania 12 years ago, I had no idea where I'd end up. If I'd had stayed with that job, I'd be 5 years from retirement. Instead I walked off the edge of the known into the abyss of no plan, no contingencey, pure freedom. For this foolish courage I give thanks.

In my travels thru time, space and hidden trails, I have found others living with pure freedom. Very few seem able to cope and eventually find a way to lose this freedom. Now, somehow I have work that comes and finds me. There's always someone who gives me a call to do some task. I literally can not keep up with all the work that is offered. The house rental gig here on the estate has really taken off the past couple months so now the flow of work has incresed nicely.

I'm thinking about bringing a recorder with me when I'm driving with Skip to the airport. He's so off the wall - off the cuff, ya just never know what he's gonna say. The thing about Skip is: he backs up his spiel more than anyone I have ever met. The guy carves out his home under a boulder and lives in it. We had the most rain since the 1800's, his place is leaking all over. Bill offers a room in the big house, Skip does not even consider it. He's in his place burning wet leaves and branches. The whole abode is smoke-filled but warm. Skip pauses to roll up one of his funny ciggarettes, starts talking etymology, cosmology, archeology, philosophy and then he's outside trying to seal his roof of plastic membranes, tarps, carpet which all sits on top of a wide variety of poles, pvc pipes, rotan, cable, ropes and anything else he comes across at the right time. You think you got him pinned down? you got a label for him? Then he beat's you to it. "I'm a Republican." says Skip. He's never voted though...

1 waves:

Blogger Dij said...

Surf looked pretty mellow today but there wire packs of wave riders at various points from Leo Carillo down to Malibu. I shall be surfing this way and will let you know...

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home